Tuesday, November 27, 2012

A (half-done) review of Professor Layton: The Last Specter

Ok, so a couple of weeks ago I traded in some games I didn't want (and they only took one, and gave me like five bucks), and got Professsor Layton: The Last Specter. Now, I had gotten the first Prof. Layton, and the second. I loved both of them; the puzzles, the story, the characters, the artwork, the cutscenes (oh, MAN the cutscenes are great), the minigames, they were all good. Heck, even the music wasn't that bad. The main "complaint" that reviewers have in these games is that, besides the minigames, the gameplay doesn't change that much. And....yeah, that is true. But most of the players and the reviewers agree that the formula for the games work, and it doesn't need to be changed. And no, I didn't get the third game (this is the fourth, a prequel), because I didn't have the money at the time. But I did read the plot on Wikipedia! :D
(BOOOOOOOOOO)
Oh, come on! Tell me you haven't done that at least once!
Anyway, as you might tell from the title, I haven't completed the game yet. I don't think I'm even halfway. But from what I can tell....yeah! It's about as good as the other games! The puzzles do seems harder, though, which is...good and bad, though you do have a lot of hint coins. The cutscenes are still great, maybe even better, the art is still great, everything is still...Layton-ish. And that's NOT a complaint. There's new minigames, of course, and they're fine. How about the story? Well, as I said, it's a prequel, and takes place before Luke came along. In fact, Layton has just gained an assistant (don't ask why she isn't in the other games, I don't know, and don't spoil it for me), and meets Luke a while later in the game. The main story is figuring out the mystery of a huge specter, or spirit, that is said to be summoned by the playing of a flute to protect a town. Oh, and I don't think the specter is a hologram or anything, because you friggin' see it. And that's not a spoiler, that's like the first or second scene (Oh, by the way, the specter looks like a freaking heartless. Not sure why). So yeah, without giving what little I know away, that's the story. It is actually pretty interesting, since this seems like the most supernatural thing in a Layton game yet (*cough* Diabolical Box). You can also move the walk and suitcase icons around if you want. Since I didn't get the last game, I'm not sure if that's a new feature.
OK, there's one more thing about this game that's new, and frankly, it should be its own game. It's called London Life. It's a RPG (weird, huh?), where you go around, doing jobs, and completing tasks that the townspeople give you. And next to all of the townspeople are from the games. Layton, Luke, heck, even Duke Anton is there! (O.O;). You gain money so you can buy food items, which restore your happiness (more happiness=more success in doing...pretty much anything), clothes, which give you stats to do things (like some buildings have a dress code), special items, which some tasks require, and furnature, which help you gain a roomate (Ok, your room is TINY, but you have a roommate). The game is very, very enjoyable, and a welcome break from the main game. Heck, sometimes it's even better! I would pay the same money I paid for any Prof. Layton game to buy a full-fledged London Life game. GIVE IT TO US!!!
OK, that's all I have for now. I'm eating. Bye.

No comments:

Post a Comment